Cloud Deployment Models: Advantages and Disadvantages
Cloud computing has been the buzzword this past decade and rightly so. It has multiplied the power of information technology. By adapting cloud computing we can enjoy the easier way and multiplied speed of computing. All the process of your business will be happening the same way with the time much lesser and speed much higher than the previous way of doing business. Implementation of cloud service is also very easy and affordable plus it does not take much time to implement as it is very quick. By doing business over the cloud you can access your business data anywhere you want to by just using authorization credentials. Collaborating with other companies has also become very easy as things are happening over the internet. You do not need any kind of hardware when you use cloud services as hardware requirements are fulfilled by cloud service providers. Infrastructure is situated at the data centers of providers and they take care of management and maintenance. It is a cost effective way as you only pay for your ordered services according to the duration you use that for. The world is going towards digitalization and there is advancement in cloud computing services every day. We are getting new advantages every other day.
When moving towards cloud computing the only doubt we have is that our data will be managed by someone else and what happens with the security of our data. Will it be secured? Well cloud service providers do take care of security of our data as they have everything well planned and multiple security systems are installed at their end. There is also a security team of professional cyber security experts to take care of all this.
Cloud Deployment Models
There are different needs of every business and meeting those needs can really transform the way your business is done. There are multiple cloud deployment models and every business try to acquire the deployment model that suits its needs the most. A perfect cloud deployment model can give you a total competitive edge over rival companies. This is the way to have access to all the IT resources for your business. All the cloud models and their pros and cons are stated below.
Public Cloud Model
It is the most basic type of cloud deployment model that lets you access cloud services very easily. It is the most widely used cloud model. As this is a public cloud anyone can use it even though the infrastructure will be built on the premises of service provider. You just need a web browser, proper hardware and an internet connection to access it. It is the best suited for a lot of businesses as load is quite manageable in it. There is only one thing to worry about and that is its security. Being a public cloud and accessible to everyone makes it less secure.
Advantages: There are multiple advantages of using a public cloud such as:
- It is a cloud model that costs very low in price and it can even be free at times.
- A public cloud is always having huge amount of computing and storage powers. So, it is highly scalable.
- A public cloud is independent of location as you can access it from anywhere without any hurdles.
- You pay for what you use, no matter your website has low traffic or high, resources will scale itself according to the requirement and you pay for the amount of resources you use.
Disadvantages: As for the public cloud, so far so good but there are some disadvantages as well like:
- The biggest concern of using a public cloud is its security. This cloud is public so security is obviously low.
- You do not have control over you data as it is stored on a public cloud and you might be sharing resources like storage with anyone anywhere.
Private Cloud Model
Private cloud is another popular deployment model of cloud services. In private clod we access services and other resources within an organization. User has better control over data in a private cloud as only authorized persons can get access to data stored on it. It is also called internal cloud as it is not used publically and only one organization uses it. Cloud computing certifications are the best to understand everything about cloud models including private cloud. Many big cloud service providers are offering services of private cloud and you can use it by just paying without getting worried about maintenance and management of your data. Businesses that deal in confidential data and need a secured environment go for this cloud model.
Advantages: Advantages of private cloud model are:
- In private cloud user has control over how he wants the cloud to setup and he runs it the way he wants.
- Private cloud is highly secured model and sharing of data and resources is very much secured in this.
- You also have control on the location of data, as you can choose the data center you want to store your data at.
Disadvantages: Disadvantages of private cloud model are:
- Scalability is an issue in private cloud as you get limited resources and you have to work within that.
- Its setup and maintenance cost is much higher than public cloud because of high amount of security.
- There are restrictions while accessing it and it is hard to access it outside of organization.
Hybrid Cloud Model
Hybrid cloud model is a model that is a combination of two models, most of the time it would be a combo of public and private cloud. By using this model organizations can be benefitted from both public and private clouds. In this way critical and confidential stuff will be on private cloud and other non critical data will be on public cloud. It is the most suited cloud deployment model for a lot of businesses.
Advantages: Advantages of hybrid cloud model are:
- In this model we can keep the confidential data safe and we can still use the scalability and other perks of public cloud.
- Flexibility is the main feature hybrid cloud model plays on. We can choose balance for our organization by combining two different cloud deployment models.
Disadvantages: Disadvantages of hybrid cloud model are:
- It is more expensive than most of the cloud models.
- It is a complex model as combining multiple deployment models make it complicated.
Community Cloud Model
Community cloud model can be called as a semi public model that cannot be accessed by all public. Same organizations share this cloud for same purpose. Everything about how to implement and use community cloud model can be learned by doing the top 5 cloud computing certifications that are easily available.
Advantages: Advantages of community cloud model are:
- It is more scalable than a private cloud.
- Its cost is much lesser than a private cloud.
Disadvantages: Disadvantages of community cloud model are:
- In this cloud model, organizations do not get full advantage of either a public or a private cloud. You have to compromise in this model.