Questions to ask your custom jeweler
Let’s face it, we all want to be trendsetters when it comes to large-item purchases like vehicles, jewelry, clothes, and makeup. That’s why custom jewelry has increased in popularity over the past few years. No one wants to wear the same piece as someone else – though they may use another person’s design as inspiration!
When discussing what you want with your custom jewelry it’s important you discuss your wants and needs clearly to your chosen jeweler so you’re happy with the outcome.
Here are common questions you should ask your custom jeweler when discussing your piece.
- What are some pieces you have designed in the past?
- How do you gather your inspiration for new client designs?
- What do you think is a piece that I’d like/what do you have in mind for my project?
- Do you offer a 3D render of the design or a wax mold of it before we finalize for last-minute changes?
- How much is the piece going to cost?
- What are the other services you provide?
- What type of warranty program do you have and what happens to that warranty should I move?
- What are the different cut, clarity, and stones I have to choose from?
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have insurance?
- Are you certified by any organization?
- Do you have a gemologist license?
- How long will my piece take to make from start to finish?
- How long is the process between you and me from start to finish?
- Do I get to make edits to the design should I not like something?
- How many stones can I use on my piece?
- Are the diamonds used certified?
- How do I go about getting an appraisal in the future?
- Do custom jewelry pieces decrease in value?
- Can I get custom engagements?
This list of questions will help you make a better-informed decision on who to choose as your custom jeweler. And, if you’re skeptical or feel like they are lying to you about any of these answers, go with someone else.