Personal Injury In California: Slips And Falls In Restaurants
Slip-and-fall accidents are more common than people think. Property owners can be held liable for injuries suffered by someone in such an accident, if they failed to keep up with safety norms and requirements. A huge number of slip-and-fall accidents happen in restaurants. If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident, you should consider consulting one of injury attorneys Huntington Beach. A personal injury attorney can help with your rights and ensure that the settlement for your injuries (and damages) is fair. In this post, we are sharing more on slip-and-fall accidents and what you should do immediate after.
Common reasons for slip-and-fall accidents
Most slip-and-fall accidents in restaurants happen because of reasons like slippery or wet flooring, uneven flooring, poor lighting and narrow walkways. However, before you file a lawsuit, you need to understand that your claim is dependent on establishing liability and fault. For instance – If the owner had marked the area and mentioned ‘danger’, but you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident anyway, your claim may be denied.
Steps to take after an accident
- If you were seriously injured, your immediate step should be about seeking medical attention.
- If your injuries are not severe, you have to report the incident to the manager or staff, and then ask for medical care. Keep in mind that seeing a doctor is important, because their initial diagnosis and treatment will matter for your lawsuit, if you choose to file one.
- Do not admit to anything or apologize after the accident. Make sure that the staff has made a written report of the accident, because documentation will matter for proving liability.
- If you are feeling okay enough, take pictures of your injuries, site of the slip-and-fall accident, and other evidence. In case there were witnesses to the accident, note down their contact details.
- Talk to an injury attorney. Consider talking to a personal injury attorney in LA or Huntington Beach immediately after your accident. Meet the lawyer with all the evidence that you have and ask them about your claim.
Once you have hired an attorney, they will take care of everything else, including discussion and negotiation with the at-fault party and their insurance company. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer may file a personal injury lawsuit. Ask the lawyer about the expected compensation and if they are willing to work on a contingency basis.
Check online for best-rated attorneys for slip-and-fall accident claims in California now.